Thursday, November 26, 2009

Divorcemoon

Here’s where the divorcemoon comes in.  After an insane year of getting thru the hell that was the marriage, work and a ton of travel (mostly for work) I decided I needed some time to myself to fully gather my thoughts.

In the 9 months since he’s moved out, my life has been going pretty well.  I’m pretty much in the same place where I started four years ago when I met him.  I’ve learned a lot and through counselling and great friends and family am even finding “some” self confidence.

In order to celebrate the actual divorce (which if it isn’t final now, will be any day now!) I thought I’d celebrate with a trip.  A trip to South America.  3 weeks.  I bought the plane ticket on airmiles from my work travel (one of the perks of 3 major trips to Asia this year).    I also financed the rest of the trip by selling off my wedding ring and an old engagement ring.  Controversial I know.  I had been hanging on to the old engagement ring for years and as for the wedding ring, frankly, after how he left and ended it, he didn’t deserve it back.  It also gave me peace of mind to clear out old memories. So thanks to work and marriage (the two things that have given me the most stress this year)  I’m in South America!

I figure when people get married, they go on a honeymoon. Why shouldn’t I celebrate the end of something so horrible with a divorcemoon!  I’m here alone and have spent the past week and a half learning Spanish.  I’ll be spending the next week and a half on a winery in Argentina.  Life is good.  And it’s getting better every day.

I still don’t think I’m “built” for relationships given my history.  And it still amazes me that a year ago at this time, I was thinking there might be a chance I’d be pregnant or thinking about having kids by now and instead, I’m touring around the world trying to find myself, but all in all, I’m happy with where I am. And even more, I’m happy with myself.  And that’s the biggest surprise of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment